I haven’t baked in a while and, in my slight delirium while being sick with a nasty cold, I decided that I would bake a cake!
I’m not the greatest baker by any means and this has nothing to do with New Year’s Resolutions, but I can at least follow directions pretty easily, so it can come out pretty good.
I wanted to make something with the Kraken Spiced Black Rum that I have, so I went to search for a rummy coffee cake recipe!
I found this Mocha Rum Cake recipe by Epicurious, but I modified it slightly to fit the needs of my pantry. (In other words, I had less solid chocolate than I thought so I substituted some chocolate with organic spiced hot chocolate powder with some consultation by Christine.)
Spiced Rum Walnut Coffee Cake
Takes: 2 hours (Prep: 15 minutes, Bake: 1 hour 45 minutes)
Makes: 10-12 servings
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 oz. chocolate, chopped
1 cup butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup hot chocolate powder (optionally spiced)
1/3 cup spiced rum
1 1/2 cup strong coffee
1 1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs, beaten lightly
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Grease a 4 1/2-inch-deep (12-cup) Kugelhupf or bundt pan and dust with flour. (This will help keep the cake from sticking to the pan.)
- In a bowl whisk or sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Melt the chocolate.
(I microwaved the chocolate for 30 seconds, then in 10 second intervals with mixing because this recipe doesn’t need to temper the chocolate. If you like, you can use the traditional way of melting the chocolate in a metal bowl over a pot of boiling water.)
- Remove chocolate from heat and stir in rum, coffee, and granulated sugar until well mixed and fully dissolved. (It will be really runny!)
- Pour chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl bowl. With an electric mixer, beat in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down side, and beat in eggs and vanilla until batter is combined well. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cake in middle of oven for 1 hour 45 minutes or until the tester (toothpick or otherwise) comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely in pan on a rack and turn it out onto rack. Cake may be made 3 days in advance and kept wrapped well and chilled.
The spiced component of the hot chocolate really gives it an unexpected kick! This would go deliciously with some vanilla ice cream.
If you want to try it but you don’t have spiced hot chocolate mix, I’d recommend adding in about 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper powder and a pinch of ground cinnamon or ground clove into the hot chocolate part to spice it up.